Enjoy learning the basics of machine sewing with Jo.
Our popular beginner’s class will give you a solid introduction to sewing machine essentials, learn all the basics that you need to get started and build your confidence. Each sewing project will introduce a new skill building up your sewing knowledge.
You will then skip out of the class having made some beautiful handmade creations including a mini-tote bag, draw-string bag, zipped purse and a cute apron, each featuring different sewing skills that you will use time and time again.
Please check here before booking as once purchased, tickets are non-refundable.
Whether you are completely new to sewing, or would like to refresh your skills, this is a great course for you. If you've never used a sewing machine before, or it's been a long time, we will help you find your way on your sewing journey!
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+.
- Professional tuition by Jo
- Patterns & info so that you can make the projects again
- Use of our Janome digital sewing machines and studio equipment
- Endless encouragement and advice!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- Half-a-metre each of two different 100% cotton fabrics (1m total, quilt-weight type) for your first couple of projects (tote bag and zipper purse). Prints that work nicely together are ideal, because you can use them together for front/back/inside/outside of the projects as needed.
- You will be advised of further fabric requirements at the first class.
- Machine-sewing thread (sew-all polyester thread or quality cotton is recommended).
- Basic sewing kit (bobbins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, pins etc.)
- Bring a notebook to jot down measurements, instructions and any future fabric requirements.
We are delighted to be able to welcome you to our refurbished studio! It is accessed from the main shop down a flight of stairs from the shop with alternative access direct to the basement for anyone requiring an entrance without steps. If you do have any accessibility needs or questions, please let us know in the comments when you book or drop us an email.
When attending any class, we will meet you at the shop front door 10 minutes before the start time. If you are running late and arrive to a closed front door, please go to the side alley (Wilson's Close) to the side entrance (with the bright pink door!) and ring the doorbell.